Monday, June 6, 2016

"After" Review

Hello to all of you lovelies! As a fan of a wide variety of novels, I enjoy reading books with creative perspectives and different point of views, as well as interesting story lines. A lot of the time, this comes from novels revolving around situations that drive character development. I try to find books with compelling characters, social satire and story evolution. 

In say this, I was initially intrigue by the novel "After," written by Anna Todd. I had heard of the YA series a couple of years ago, but hadn't picked up the book until now. Unfortunately, as I was reading the novel I found it extremely difficult to relate to any of the characters-- especially the main character Tessa. 

"After" follows the first semester of Tessa's freshman year of college. On the surface, Tessa appears to be a "good-girl." Beginning the year, Tessa has a kind and loyal boyfriend and a committed, albeit overbearing mother, but her world turns upside down when she meets Hardin. As the stereotypical "bad-boy," Hardin displays aggression, angst and turmoil. However, when I was reading the character of Hardin I found him to be an emotionally crueler version of  Christian Grey from the series "50 Shades of Grey." 

Hardin is manipulative and harsh. He treats the people around him severely and has violent outbursts. Similarly to the "50 Shades of Grey" books, Hardin and Christen both have a traumatic pasts. But unlike Christen Grey, Hardin's emotions don't manifest in S&M, but come out in vicious arguments and possessive demands. 

Once Tessa and Hardin start their relationship, the reader is exposed to two different sides of Hardin. As well as, confronted with so many questions about the relationship-- why Hardin behaves the way he does and why Tessa trusts Hardin so much, so quickly and why Hardin is extremely possessive of Tessa. Especially, after observing how tumultuous the relationship is between Tessa and Hardin, the reader is constantly questioning Hardin's motives. 

Furthermore, "After's" main plot had very little depth and was surrounded around superficial relationships. I also found Tessa's character to be frustrating and kindof annoying, she had little to no self-respect and allowed people to manipulate and take advantage of her. Hardin on the other hand is cocky, overtly possessive and controlling. I found that "After" displayed a poor depiction of women, as well as a negative and unhealthy view of relationships. 

As I was reading the novel, I kept drawing comparisons between two narratives: "50 Shades of Grey" and the early 2000's teen movie "She's All That." And as "After" came to a conclusion, I believe my comparisons were spot-on. The climax of the relationship between Hardin and Tessa, reveled that it was basically all a lie. It was based off of a cruel, manipulative bet Hardin had made with his friends to take Tessa's virginity. 

Though, I know my opinion may not be the popular one. "After" does have an elaborate and extensive fan base, I didn't really enjoy the book and I probably won't read the rest of the series. I found the characters to be impossible to relate to and I could wrap my mind around the idea of Tessa actually dating Hardin. He belittled her, made fun of her, was cruel to her, showed no remorse of his actions and repeatedly lied her. And that was before they started dating. As someone who has dated guys throughout high school, college and post college, I could not comprehend entering into a relationship with that behaved that way. I don't find this type of story romantic or find the character redeemable. I think this story displays overtly sexual scenes that are demeaning to women and a negative view for young women to "aspire" to.

What do you think? Have you read the book "After" or the other books in the series? If so, how do you think of the story or how the story evolves? Do you think I'm wrong and should give the "After" series a second chance? Let me know, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

For now, I say good night and hope that the my random ramblings have peeked your inner bookworm. 

~BL
 

No comments:

Post a Comment