Wednesday, January 20, 2016

"Rebel Belle" Review

Bookcover: tumblr.com/search/rebel+belle
Hello to all of you lovelies! I have another January book review for you (yay!), "Rebel Belle," written by Rachel Hawkins. Now, "Rebel Belle" is the first novel of this trilogy-- "Miss Mayhem" (Book 2) and "Lady Renegades" (Book 3). The third book won't be released until April 2016--and I'm trying to decide if  I want to read the second book now or wait until it's a little closer to the release of "Lady Renegades" (but I do have some time to decide). What are your thoughts?

As I'm sure you have gathered from: a.) I wish to continue with the series and b.) am eagerly awaiting the release of the third book. that I liked "Rebel Belle."

Although, I do have to be honest, I was hesitant to read this book at first. I went into it thinking "it's just another bad/corny attempt to give a teenage girl superpowers." Now. don't get me wrong, I love the idea of girls being superheroes--brave, strong and saving the guy for a change. However, I have read stories that tried to empower women and they fell flat on their faces. The women come off as cold, cruel, snarky and even bitchy. I have longed for a novel that allows a female character to be bold and powerful without losing what makes her an inspiration or doesn't use her strong traits as a negative. Male characters don't run into this dilemma quite a much-- and often times when a male character has an edge we (as readers) are quick to forgive them, because they have a good reason as to why they are "damage" (abuse, neglect, heartbreak, war, death etc.). Brash and strong, female characters tend to lack that "forgivable" quality that allows us readers to relate to them on a personal level. And yet, I am happy to report that "Rebel Belle" has successfully navigated through the "dislike" of a female lead. But I will admit I did become annoyed with the lack of strength our female character(s) had at points throughout the book, I felt as though I was reading a book written about girls/women in the the 50's and not today. However, I have a feeling that was Rachel Hawkins way creating a "before" and "after."  First, showcasing a "traditional southern belle" (pun not intended), followed by her progression and willingness to become a warrior, and finally showing her destiny coming to fruition (or at least I hope that's the case). 

I'm about to dive into the good stuff, but before I do I have a little confession/ housekeeping to do...

I want to first say that I actually listened to this book. I'm a huge fan/advocate for audio books, they allow me to multi-task while still being active--whether that is me working, cleaning my apartment or taking a shower. I can "read" and be "busy."

However, there is a risk when listening to an audio book. If the narration is bad or if the characters "sound" different then what you envision them to sound like or if how the lines are recited doesn't match how you (the reader) believe they should be said--then there is an immediate resistance to liking the novel and/or there is barrier between how you connect with the characters, despite how wonderful the story may be. Fortunately this was not the case with "Rebel Belle," narrated by Amy Rubinate. Both the narration and editing were well done. I really enjoyed how Amy Rubinate captured the "southern twang" without over doing it, she was also able to give each character (male and female) their own identity. I appreciated how each character had their own rhythm, their own pronunciation and pace. Amy Rubinate did especially well within conversations. There were multiple times where there was more than just two people speaking, but the conversation flowed naturally, without confusion of who was speaking.

Now for the "good stuff..." 

"Rebel Belle," revolves around a young, high-school student Harper Price. At first, Harper seems like the stereotypical "southern belle" (a girl who wants to be Homecoming Queen, wears pastels and pearls, would be likely to be seen drinking sweet tea on a plantation) and to be honest, she is. I mean, I was half expecting Scarlet O'Hara from "Gone with the Wind," to tramp through the halls of Harper's high school yelling "as God as my witness, I will never go hungry again!" (don't worry, she didn't). However, Harper does embody a lot of those "southern" characteristics-- cotillions, white gloves and cheer-leading. But she also has a deeper story, for which truly defines her.

On the night of Homecoming, Harper is only prepared for one thing to happen-- to win Homecoming Queen. Everything else is not important. But after a strange run-in with her school's janitor (in the lady's room-- might I add). Harper is no longer just an ordinary high-school student, she is now empowered with incredible abilities. She instinctively knows how to fight off attackers twice her size, out run (or drive really) chasing cars, and she has the speed, strength and fortitude of a proper hero. Though Harper she does lack a true "superhero" origin story, she is quick to figure out what her destiny is-- or who really.
"Bruce Wyne's parent get killed and he goes to Tibet or whatever, and Superman is an alien, and Spiderman had that radioactive spider. Me? I kissed a janitor in the school bathroom."  
When Harper's path took an unexpected turn-- we discover she becomes a Paladin, which is an ancient warrior who is destined to guard, protect and defend the Oracle. But of course, destiny couldn't make things easy on Harper-- not only does she have to guard another person, she has to guard a person she hates. Harper discovers she has to protect David Stark: school reporter and now evidently a "psychic," not to mention her high-school nemesis. David is also imbued with specific abilities of his own. But as we find out there is a mysterious prophecy regarding David and his "gift," which has a dangerous league of witches or "Mages" that are after him and now it is Harper's job to keep him alive. 

As we follow Harper through these peculiar events, we are reminded that she is merely a teenager-- task to defend another human-being at the expense of her own life (if it comes to that). Something she (nor really anyone) is fully prepared for-- up until now Harper's biggest concern was her school and social life, her boyfriend and cotillion. Now she bares the responsibilities of a mystical prophecy, and the only person she can confide in, was the person she despised. 

At this point, things get even more complicated. The more removed Harper becomes from her "previous" world the closer she becomes to an unlikely source: David. Harper and David develop a deep bond, and the two fall for one another. Unfortunately part of the mysterious prophecy, dictates that David's fate could very well be the end of the world. So, talk about a dating deal-breaker.

"Rebel Belle," is a fun read-- full of witty banter, action, love and a bit of magic. I found myself not wanting the story to end, not just because the climax of the story happened very close to the end of the book (which was a little annoying), but also because I found myself laughing aloud a lot-- like seriously laughing. There were moments where I was tearing up from laughter. I enjoyed how even some of the characters "simple" tasks like research were made interesting and entertaining. One of my one of my favorite aspects of Rachel Hawkins' writing is the humor intertwined with emotion. There are some seriously witty lines, which helped emphasized the dramatic or intense scenes. 

But as I mentioned before, the climax of the story happened very close to the end of the book, which I'm not a fan of. To me, when a novel does this-- I feel like the book was actually longer but the author, publisher or whomever cut the story into two separate books. However, I do recognize that I may be alone in this thought-- mostly because I really enjoy long books. Especially, in the beginning and end of series. Personally I feel like the length allows for character and world development and provides time to tie up all of the story's loose ends. 

Though I ended the book with some questions, I am excited to read the next two novels. I hope we pick up where we left off in "Rebel Belle," we were left on a bit of a cliffhanger and I'd like to see where "Miss Mayhem" takes the story. I'm eager to see how the Harper, David and Ryan work together-- in spite of the super awkwardness that already exists, and figure out this magically world.

For now, I say good night and hope that the my random ramblings have peeked your inner bookworm. 

~BL



No comments:

Post a Comment