Tuesday, February 23, 2016

"The Choice" Book vs. Movie Comparison

Hello to all of you lovelies! As I had said (wrote) in my last post, I was excited to read "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks for a few reasons-- the first was because, I enjoy the "real-life" qualities Sparks attributes to his characters and the second was because I heard there was a film adaptation being made and I wanted to compare the two. 

Now that I have finished the novel, I couldn't wait to see how these characters (that I had fallen in love with) come to life. As in many film adaptations, there were certain aspects that had changed from the novel, however I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that at it's core, the film stayed pretty true to the novel. Though the film did take a great deal of creative liberties with the story,

But first things first, the cast. As I have said in the past, when I read, I visualize the characters in great detail and when I see a film version of the story, I find it difficult (at times) to separate my version of the character. So when the actor differs, I can become frustrated. However, I am more forgiven of the physical appearance if the personal matches. And this was the case with "The Choice."

Travis (Parker, from the novel--they changed his name) Shaw, played by Benjamin Walker, actually fits both the physical and personality I envisioned, while I was reading. Travis from the novel, was easy-going, laid back and was in no rush to find himself in a committed relationship. From my perspective, I would say Benjamin Walker portrayed Travis really well. 

Gabby Holland, on the other hand was very different then what I pictured. Gabby from the novel, had fair skin with freckles and red hair. The Gabby from the film, played by Teresa Palmer, is petite, tan and blonde. Though, Teresa Palmer did a good job portraying the character, both her physical appearance and demeanor where different than what I had expected. In my mind I pictured a more reserved, Emma Stone. 

Another character that I had truly enjoyed reading was Travis' sister, Steph. I loved how snarky, smart, witty and insightful Steph was in the novel. While I was reading, you could sense how close and devoted Travis and Steph were to one another. Though the film version was a toned down version, Maggie Grace did a good job embodying the sisterly role. There was a great deal of playful chemistry between Maggie Grace and Benjamin Walker, which made their on screen sibling relationship, believable and three dimensional. However, I think my favorite character from the film was Shep (Travis' father), played by Tom Wilkinson. Shep was warm, funny, father figure. However, like Gabby's character, Shep was a bit different from the book to the film. For starters, Shep was a widower, a very religious man (in fact he is a Pastor) and is a man trying to find romantic love again. The novel version, was less developed and we didn't have much backstory, aside from knowing he was a veterinarian that worked with Travis. But I did in fact I enjoy giving Shep a more profound role.

Other differences, Gabby is a medical student and not a PA and her (ex)boyfriend Ryan is a doctor at the hospital and not an insurance agent. Gabby's parents were different as well. Both her mother and father work for a well- off family as the doorman/butler and the personal chef, instead of a "southern belle" and her stereotypical, golf-loving father. Furthermore, Gabby is an only child in the film, which differs from the book where she had two sisters. I feel that these changes altered Gabby's film personality. Especially the portrayal of Gabby's parents. The relationship Sparks depicted allowed us readers to make certain assumptions. The Gabby from the novel, had a strained relationship with her "southern-belle" mother--mostly because Gabby saw herself as more of a brainy-ac instead of a beauty queen. The Gabby from the novel was self- conscious, soft spoken and at times leaned on Travis when conflict arose. The film version lacked that vulnerability.

The differences between Travis were slightly more subtle. The main one was the aspect that Travis was more of "player" in the film. The novel version of Travis alluded to the fact that he never lacked company, but the film put it all out there.

Another difference, the dogs. From the book, Gabby had a purebred collie and Travis' dog was a boxer. In the film both dogs were different (still adorable though). 

Now, that I have read "The Choice" and seen the film adaptation. I will say that I enjoyed the novel a bit more. The film was a good romantic film. And if I hadn't read the novel, I probably would have enjoyed the film more. But my biggest issue with the movie were all the changes. I felt that the differences took away from point of the story arch and were unnecessary to--like changing Travis' last name... why?

However, I do believe both are worthy of your time. The story itself is filled with love, humor and some sarcasm-- my favorite qualities and I enjoyed the emotional ride they each provided. I can respect each adaptation of the story as an individual project, but I would recommend reading the book first.

What do you think? Have you read the book and/or seen the movie? Were you hoping to see a specific scene come to life in the film? Let me know, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

For now, I say good night and hope that the my random ramblings have peeked your inner bookworm. 

~BL

No comments:

Post a Comment