Wednesday, February 17, 2016

"The Choice" Review

Hello to all of you lovelies! I'm sorry I'm a bit late, but I'm excited to write this new review. So, this week I have my second February book review on "The Choice," by Nicholas Sparks. Now, many people believe that Nicholas Sparks novels cater to the sentimental reader (aka sappy love stories), and you know what, even if I believed that to be true, I don't see anything wrong with it. 

I honestly think that there is nothing wrong with fairy tales, everyone ends up "happily ever after"-- and who wouldn't want that. But I also feel that Nicholas Sparks' novels aren't given the credit they deserve. I will agree, that many of the plots can be predictable, yet there is element of surprise intertwined in every story Nicholas Sparks has written.

Now in real-life, I am usually "a glass half empty" kindof gal-- I tend to be a bit too rational for my own good. But when I'm reading, I am a hopeless romantic. I want good to triumph over evil, I want the hero to defeat the villains and I want love to conquer all. Going along with that idea, when I read a Nicholas Sparks novel-- I go in anticipating some drama. Whether it is a love triangle, life- threatening disease, a war or an insane ex set out for revenge. But these extreme aspects make the simple moments more powerful. I also, enjoy Nicholas Sparks novels because he writes about actual people. Not superheroes or immortal beings, but about people you could meet on the street. Flawed individuals, with real-life decisions. And I think this is one of the reasons, Nicholas Sparks novels are so popular-- because the characters are relateable.  

Though Nicholas Sparks is notorious for having us readers become incredibly invested in the characters' lives, just to throw us a curve ball (usually a life altering curve ball), "The Choice" is no different. I mean it's basically spelled out in the title. 

To be honest, I haven't gotten around to reading this book until now (there are just so many books to read, and so little time to read them all). But when I found out, there was going to be a film adaptation made-- I dove right in. I admittedly, tend to be critical of film adaptations if I read the novel first, however if I see the movie and then read the book, I have a difficult time separating the actors from the characters. So, for "The Choice" I wanted to first read the book and then see the movie (because lets be honest, I'm a sucker for an epic love story).

"The Choice," is told from two different time periods. We learn the about the main characters, Travis Parker and Gabby Holland through flashbacks. We see their relationship evolve from hostel neighbors, to reluctant friends and beyond. When we first meet Travis, he has his life figured out. He is a veterinarian, confident and has everything he could ever want. When we meet Gabby, on the outside she seems to have her life together, but inside she is racked with insecurities and doubts--everything from career indecision to relationship fears. But when the two meet, their differences make one another better. Travis allows Gabby to flourish, while Gabby gives Travis purpose. 

At first, I thought "The Choice" was going to be another love triangle story. One woman torn between two men, but the story unfolded in a different way. The chemistry between Travis and Gabby, which lead to love, was undeniable. They brought the best out of each other, without trying to alter one others' core personality. Their relationship evolved quickly but it was a natural progression-- I did feel that the speed in which they "fell in love" was rapid. However, the way Sparks wrote their relationship,  made it seem as if they had known one another longer. It did help that Sparks established a friendship first (for a time) before jumping into a romantic relationship. 

The story continues through Travis and Gabby's life together-- building a home together, getting married and even having children. These portions of the novel, were told through flashbacks, but we were given "current" time told through Travis point of view. 

But when tragedy strikes, Travis' world is turned upside down. After a serious car accident, Gabby remains in a coma. Month after month, Gabby's condition does not improve and Travis is left with an impossible decision. He literally has Gabby's life in his hands. 
"Every path you take, leads you to another choice." 
 "The Choice," continues to give us insight into the depth of love Travis has for Gabby and vice versa. Their relationship is pure and intense romantic love-- filled with trust, strength and the choices they (we) make to overcome the barriers life has, in order to be with the ones they (we) love. Now I don't want to give away the ending, but I will say I laughed and I cried throughout the story. But more importantly I envied the love between Travis and Gabby. 

As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed "The Choice." It made me think about the choices I make throughout my day and the decisions that have shaped the person I am. 

I am looking forward to seeing the movie and comparing the two.

What do you think? How far would you go for the person you love? What are you hoping to see in the film? Let me know, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

For now, I say good night and hope that the my random ramblings have peeked your inner bookworm. 

~BL

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment